Select Page

Crucial test for Horizon Projects

Forum Home Forums Horizon Project – Have your say! Crucial test for Horizon Projects

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

With so many welcome proposals for change emerging from the Horizon Process, I believe that there has to be a test by which members and committees judge Horizon proposals. The guiding principles for judging the final Horizon Proposals are embedded in the Club’s Vision and Values, which are little changed since 2005; they should be the ‘crucial test’ and they are:

OUR VISION ‘TO MAINTAIN AND ENHANCE THE EXCELLENCE OF THE CLUB IN PROVIDING MEMBERS, THEIR FAMILIES AND GUESTS, WITH FIRST CLASS SOCIAL AND SPORTING FACILITIES IN AN ELEGANT AND CONGENIAL ENVIRONMENT BOTH FOR TODAY AND TOMORROW.’

OUR VALUES EXCELLENCE PRUDENCE INTEGRITY COURTESY’

These add specifics to the Horizon tag line (for you, for fellow members, for future members), but serve to make the judgements that must be made more focused. Words such as ‘Elegant’ and ‘Excellence’ are subject to interpretation, but these and other sentiments in the Vision, such as our responsibility to provide a congenial environment for tomorrow’s members should be at the base of future decisions.

As an example and in retrospect the East Wing proposals would have failed this test. They were arguably elegant but in my view never congenial. The East Wing has failed to attract members for many reasons, but one of them must be the lack of congeniality.

I would like to see some smaller projects attended to firstly – to ensure we do have a clear consensus and to prove we can achieve our goals without huge cost overruns. As a more senior member I also would like to see some benefits “in my time”.

The AGM voting may not be an indication for the Horizon projects but I noted that the results were far from a clear and conclusive endorsement.

Quite right. Lower sights and try smaller first to ensure we are not getting ahead of ourselves financially unless we are to raise subs. Most importantly get the F&B to a quality that members are happy with which they appear universally not to be so at present. The East wing is dreadfully lacking in atmosphere and needs attention to significantly improve it whether for external events or for members. I found the reference in the horizon video to so many millions here and there by the chosen architects for each project to be somewhat scary as inevitably their budgets would be exceeded come the final designs and fit outs. We need complete assurance that capital expenditure for maintenance of existing facilities will be well covered before we start cashing in the family silver on expensive new vanity projects.

There is no question that maintaining existing facilities is the first charge on our capital spend. For example, we have just started a thorough renovation of the north face of the Main House and will do the same on the south face next year. The maintenance spending has been considerably increased from past levels. We undertook a comprehensive engineer- and surveyor-informed review of our estate and equipment and this has informed the amounts included in the financial forecasts for maintenance expenditure and investment.

The result, of course, is to reduce the availability of funds for projects to improve or expand facilities, and this is why some of the programme options we have developed involve increases in subscriptions if we are to undertake them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.