Select Page

Reply To: Desirability of 3rd Pool

Forum Home Forums Horizon Project – Have your say! Desirability of 3rd Pool Reply To: Desirability of 3rd Pool

Paivi Dubois

The ‘third pool’ suggested would be very different from the two longer lenghth ones indoors and outdoors. On the one hand it would serve as a teaching pool and on the other hand, in the afternoons and when children are at school or nursery and after 6pm when they are not allowed in the pool area, it would serve as an extra warmer pool for ‘leisure swimmers’ (as opposed to lane swimmers). It could also incorporate hydrotheraphy water jets for rehab purposes and relaxation. During the day, when not used for lessons it could also be used for aqua-aerobics freeing more space for lane swimming in the main pool. The number of children in the Club is projected to increase by over 50% in the next ten years. We already close the indoor pool to all but those booked into lessons from 4 to 6 o’clock from Monday to Friday as demand for lessons is so high. In years to come this issue will get worse. I believe there is a very good case for a second indoor pool. Keeping the outdoor pool open in the winter is a great addition for lane swimmers but cannot serve the purposes listed above. Teaching children to swim is a necessity not a luxury. I feel for my successors as chairmen of Swimming and Fitness who have to balance all these interests in years to come!